CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 16, 2008

My Music: My Life: My Love

2004 was the first time I had ever lost a music player. I remember changing near the edge of the 76th Street New York Sports club bench. Leaning over pulling my street shoes on, trying to avoid the massive amount of bush that was passing inches from my face. And in my head all I could think about was getting home in time to catch American Dreams.

I was about two blocks down Second Avenue when I remembered I had left my CD walkman sitting on the bench. I ran all the way back , booked it into the women's locker room and sure enough.. it was gone. Never to be seen again. It was a hot CD Walkman too, a red Sony one.

You never forget your first love...


Now it wasn’t so much the walkman that I was upset about, but more the embarrassment of the CD within it. It wasn’t just any old CD, it was a mixed CD. And the mixed CD has a nice spandex arrangement of Britney Spears, ‘Lucky’, and Backstreet Boys 'All Because Of You'.

Now I know what you’re thinking, and frankly, I don’t friggin care.

Let us now reverse in time back to 1994 when I was queen of the Mix Tape. I dubbed so many tapes I had an entire system down. Now most of my mixed tapes consisted of half-songs and ends of songs as I would hear them playing on the radio and run upstairs to my bedroom to hit the two-button record. I figured it was my form of ‘DJ’ing’.

I had the double tape mixer, so I could make re-mixes...one word for that...HOT

I had more mixed tapes then Wal-Mart had high-waisted underwear. And to be fair, I considered my mixes to be ‘eccentric’…ranging from Billy Joel’s, We Didn’t Start The Fire, to Elton’s John’s, ‘The Circle of Life’.

Regardless, that was some good shit. And occasionally I would add my own little voice overs to the mix tapes, where I apparently felt the need to say things like, “Hey, this is Kimmy, and I get this party ROLLIN on the AM DIAL…..” (I don’t know, I had heard it someone once and it sounded cool).

Sometimes life doesn't get any sweeter than this...

Now let us flashfoward to 2008, when standing on the subway train I noticed some little 13 year old boy, carrying, yes, a CD Walkman. Now upon first glance I didn’t even know what the contraption was, I assumed IPod had made it’s newest model even larger then before… Zack-Morris style Ipod-ing perhaps. But alas, it was an actually CD Walkman, complete with hand-running grip on the side.

I felt so fucking bad for this kid, not because I assumed he was poor, because I didn’t, but more because I assumed he had the kind of parents, like mine, who don’t give two shits about what is in style. The kind of parents we shared would say things like , “What’s wrong? You got something that plays music don’t ya?! Quit complaining and go help your mom set the table for dinner!”

If I was 13 in this day and age, man I would have suffered. My parents don’t know and don’t care about having the coolest music player on the block. Staring at that kid I knew that his parents too did not care how many kids probably made fun of his Walkman...which may I add was complete with large CD carrying case stuffed in his backpack ...they did not care that he would have to listen to actual ENTIRE CDS, which nowadays is considered torture in at least 9 countries alone. My parents would never have bought me one of those (and I quote them) “New age things…what do those things do anyway? Play music? Well I gotta cassette player that does just as good of a job and the rewind button is pretty fast too!”

I remember when I packed for college and my dad wouldn’t buy me a new hairdryer because he insisted on giving me the ‘fold away travel one’ instead. (insert me collapsing onto our oriental rug into a ball of tears here).

Instead I would have been that kid, hanging out on the subway with my huge Walkman, listening to Elton’s John’s Greatest Hits.

And frankly, I still miss that red Sony and all I can say, is somewhere, someone on 77th street, has a pretty great Britney Spears mix CD, complements of DJ Kim.

_____________________________

13 Cizz-omments:

Anonymous said...

i rocked the mix tapes as well...and I also had a CD burning phase which for long car rides I have no problem admitting still might happen...

Kim & Dic said...

I DO TOO..dont feel bad, being a city dweller I have lack of automobile, but when I do rent, I do make mix CD's....doesnt everyone??!!

kyle the girl said...

I think so...they ought to! It's a little sad, but most of the best mp3s I have were downloaded (stolen) by my roommate in college so that we could make really great mix CDs for our raging parties. "Faded" by Soul Decision, anyone?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this post...
Yup.. I will be a regular to your blog..

Blogs that make me laugh even on a Sunday when going back to work tomorrow is LOOMING over my head are a MUST!

loves it! :)

Kim & Dic said...

@miss- SOUL DECISION! yes! wow i might have to itunes that one..

@mme- love that you're lovin it! ahh yes someone has a case of the Mondays..

Anonymous said...

I was in LOVE with elton john's circle of Life song hahaah...i used to buy all those musical tapes...i dont know where they all are now, i lost all my tapes somehow!

Dave said...

When I was in 1st grade my mom decided that rather than buying me the Batman costume that I wanted for Halloween we would make a costume together. You know, for fun. We dyed plain long underwear gray, which I wore under a pair of tighty-whities we had died blue (I was the uber-cool Adam West version of Batman). My mom used black permanent marker to draw a bat on a piece of yellow felt that she sewed onto the chest of my long underwear top. I knew the costume kind of sucked but didn't really care (my Halloween priority was candy before costume) until I got made fun of at school because my underwear was visible.

Potsie said...

The reason your mix tapes were good was because there were only a few seconds of each song on there. Tell me you never drove while listening to a CD, yet you only listened to the first half of it before skipping to the next one.

The music industry would be much better if they Soprano'd each song @ 1 min 45 sec

Unknown said...

Hey, at least you had a walkman. I was so poor when I was a kid I didn't have anything.

If I wanted to listen to Run dmc, I would have to sneak into my older brothers room to listen to his boombox.

sad.

Anonymous said...

My parents were the exact same way. I still own the first cassette player I was ever given. Doesn't work anymore, but it's vintage.

Right now I'm rocking a Walmart bought cd player because my ipod was stolen and I look like a loser, but oh wells!

ThePeachTree said...

Great post! I love that we can remember the every nuances of our first music player loss! Ah, my bright yellow, water proof, walkman cassette player....

Kim & Dic said...

@the bat- awww that was the funniest/saddest story i have ever heard

@joc- i actually really agree with your on that...i get bored after a min or two listening to a song unless it has a good chorus..

@surv- ah yes, the older brother boombox, always a clever sneak

Kim & Dic said...

@kiera-you do what you gotta do lady and never feel bad about rockin it old school!

@peach- i loved the waterproof yellow ones!! were they really waterproof though you think??