CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tuesday Night's Deep Thoughts


I was in Starbucks the other day, writing this column and I started thinking about things I did in my life that made me feel like I have truly contributed to society. Things like, volunteered at a soup kitchen… read to children in a shelter…told a fat women not to buy anything corduroy… Of all the good things I remember though…there is one incident that stands out in my mind. NYCares allowed me to go read bedtime stories to the children at the Ichan Housing Project on the West Side. After reading two short stories some of the other little girls began to crowd around me on the floor. “You’re pretty.” One of them said. “I know.” I said. “But…” The little girl continued. “You have roots..” She then pointed her finger to the top of my scalp where my highlights ended. I looked at her standing in her tattered clothes, her barely full belly protruding, arms mangled and bruised. I stopped reading, softened my eyes and said,. “Well, you’re homeless…and your mama is a hoe….” I then smiled, and felt truly blessed.

11 Cizz-omments:

Ha Ha Sound said...

Yeah, I hear you. I often think about doing volunteer work, but then I worry about who's going to watch all of those reruns of the X-Files that get broadcast on TBS on Saturday afternoons.

Potsie said...

Hilarious, but awful.

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

Aww you are so good with kids, because I would have told her that her stomach made her arse look fat…

Lol you are too funny nyc chick…

The Brooklyn Boy said...

Wow. Well played.

Kim & Dic said...

her mama was a hoe...fo sho

Kim & Dic said...

@haha- reruns are so much better than "volunter work" anyway...and more rewarding

Anonymous said...

I will get rid of that little girl for you, how dare she mention the roots!

ZenDenizen said...

This is exactly the kind of heartwarming stuff that keeps me coming back for more.

Sadly, your blog doesn't update in my google reader so I've added "Model Behavior" as a proxy. Whenever she updates, it is my pavlonian queue to check your blog.

guestofaguest said...

touche

Quarterlifegirl said...

Hahaha, just about fell out of my chair! LOVE IT!

modelbehavior said...

I don't care what anyone says. When I'm too bust for touch ups roots are officially 'in.'