CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 22, 2007

To Catch a Bouquet


Over the weekend at a lovely little place some people like to call, "New Jersey", at a wedding for my old college roommate, I did the unthinkable and actually dove in to catch the bouquet. According to one of the bridesmaids I apparently turned around and said something along the lines of, "Out of my way bitches," as I ran in to get it.

The irony of it is that marriage is not in the picture anytime soon for me. In actuality, as much as I date, I am starting to think as each year goes by I understand less and less about men. I used to know a lot about them, a few years back I remember thinking men were a breeze, a Final Exam in Division 101 when I had already aced Calculus. In second grade there was a boy named Tommy who used to follow me around on the playground. He was always trying to sit with me and talk to me, until one day he tried to cut me on the monkey bars and I had a big girl name Elsa go over and pull him off by the ankles until he finally let go and plunged face first into a pile of sand. Tommy didn't follow me around too much after that.

There is this scene in the movie Picture Perfect where Jennifer Aniston is standing in a marble bathroom yelling to her friend, "I don't get what went wrong...things were so simple for so long, I liked men, men liked me..but somewhere in the last year or so everything has just gotten so, screwed up..."

Every year I understood a little bit more than I do now, so essentially if I date myself all the way back to being a fetus I was in complete control right around embryo stage.

There are certain things I get such as; going out, talking to boys, going to dinners... then right after that is about when I get completely lost. It is as though after the first few dates suddenly I have wandered into some unknown desert where I am walking around holding a sandy map and a broken compass going, "wasn't I just on a main road about 2 blocks ago...?"

My last relationship, less than a year ago, was with a boy named John who tried to take me home to meet his mom and dad...after we had been dating for one week. John actually wanted to have a "real relationship" and do things like...talk about our feelings...the kinda crap that makes my stomach churn. I remember he almost cried when we rented the movie 'Serendipity" together, I still get nauseous just thinking about it.

And yet on the other hand when I date guys who only show interest in seeing what kind of comforter and sheets I own, I cant help but think I am at a loss. How did I end up on this road? Where is the middle ground? Why can't I get rest somewhere on the divider? I like men, men like me, but in the last year or so everything has just gotten so, screwed up...now if I could only find my way out of this desert...

10 Cizz-omments:

Ha Ha Sound said...

Men are easy. We like: 1) food, 2) sex, 3) alcohol and 4) being told what to do by women and then pretending to secretly resent it. In no particular order, of course.

Kim & Dic said...

whoa, really? hmmm apparently I need to study #4 quite a bit more...

Kim & Dic said...

whoa, really? hmmm apparently I need to study #4 quite a bit more...

Anonymous said...

and those spicy curly fries you make kim, those could keep any man

MsFreshBananaPuddin said...

Yeah thats what happens when you stop for food and water. Im dreading the college colleague's wedding days. I think ill just show up to the reception, drunk and dance w the father of the bride...

modelbehavior said...

"Out of my way bitches!"

Gaa, I love it. Did you catch it and win?

I can't give you any man advice, sorry, except that I don't think there is a 'right guy'...there's only 'the right guy for right now.'

And screw marriage. That shit's overrated.

Kim & Dic said...

@JAY- I KNOW
@MSP- your days are coming soon dear friend..most weddings are a good excuse for free booze though
@Model- I did catch it and they didnt have the guy put the garter on me, I was pissed, he was about 14 years old, I was gonna make it happen..

Jarod said...

"Cried at Serendipity" - Wow, no wonder you got sick!

Really, I don't think guys or girls are that hard to figure out. It's just people like to think humans are more sophisticated than we really are, and invent ourselves as giant, mutli-layered drama cases.

(BTW, what that guy said about wanted to be told what to do is NOT true, in my opinion - just so you don't get bad info)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the bridal bouquest diving cause when you reach your 30's, you'll be hiding in the back ;-)

Kim & Dic said...

@Jarod- I think you may actually be right with that, people make more of a situation than it really is
@Lisa-HA when i turn 30 i will just make sure to go to weddings with a 'life partner'